LAKE ONTARIO COMMITTEE
Comfort Inn "The Pointe"
Niagara Falls, NY 14303
23, 24 March 1993
1. Transfer of SIMPLE model from BOTE to agencies
- LOC members will identify staff members to be trained in use of SIMPLE model in a
technology transfer workshop.
- The LOC will develop a tight protocol for use of SIMPLE model in order to assure its
2. Development of IMSL model
The LOC approved in principle technical committee participation in setting sea lamprey targets,
conditional upon satisfactory clarification of the staff time required.
3. Draft GLFC contaminant position statement
The LOC referred to the April CLC meeting discussion of the GLFC contaminant position statement
drafted by HAB. The NY member's reaction was very favourable to the good solid step it
4. Proposed Environmental Objectives Workshop
- Recognizing that Lake Ontario is not the primary focus of HAB's proposed environmental
objectives workshop, the LOC is willing to send a few representatives.
- The LOC referred to the CLC the issue of institutional arrangements for framing possible
recommendation to the GLFC.
5. Fish community objectives and state of the lake report
- Recognizing that the LOC's draft fish community objectives are out of date, and that
managers face new challenges posed by a changing lake ecosystem, the LOC resolved to
produce a state of the resource analysis, to be followed by a refinement of fish community
objectives and preparation of a formal state of the lake report.
- The LOC acknowledged a need to report back to constituents on actions and responses to the
changing fish community. The LOC was committed to monitoring and education.
- The LOC will review assessment programs, and retarget if necessary.
6. LOC officers
Phil Smith (OMNR) will chair and Bob Lange (NYDEC) will vice-chair the LOC through the 1995 LOC
6 April 1993
Return to Lake Ontario Committee